Designing a track mount for my pololu caterpillar tracks. Sketchup is trying very hard to prevent me.
I soldered together my MotorPiTX motor controller today and fitted it to the robot:
It’s a hell of a lot neater than my original effort, and only trails one wire. It goes forwards and backwards now too. To the left of the blue relay near the top you can see my homemade heatsink attached to the voltage regulator:
The robot in action, being driven by a Go program on the Raspberry Pi:
Next up, getting the camera working, and figuring out a better power supply/battery.
I’ve started work on a top-secret project. I can’t really hide the fact that it’s going to be a robot, but I’m not going to say what it is, at least not just yet.
So, last night I was designing a 3d printed mount for the tiny 3-6V motors I bought and I started to wonder if I could cobble something together using my old technic lego. I dug out the lego, but on top of that was my dusty old meccano set, even better!
WIthin a short amount of time I had some motor mounts and a frame made, including tensioning springs for the caterpillar tracks. All that was left was to take it for a spin. I hooked it up to my Raspberry Pi via my Custard Pi breakout board, a ULN2803A and a custom voltage regulator circuit.
Seeing if it drives in a straight line:
Hooked up to the Raspberry Pi, controlled by microswitches. You can see the top of the Custard Pi poking out over the mess of wires that is my breadboard and the cheap wireless dongle/antenna I got from eBay. The voltage regulator circuit makes an appearance being dragged along behind:
Right now it only goes forwards because I didn’t have the circuitry for anything else, but I got my MotorPiTX in the mail this morning so that will change soon.